I get a lot of inspiration from nature and specifically its patterns. I’m not concerned with precision in color and detail. Sometimes the zen of just repeating the shape of a leaf can be comforting to the soul and pleasing to the eye. My palette tends to be the same in any media I choose. I love bright, cheerful colors. In other words, nature patterns as graphical elements can be a lot of fun.
You can find inspiration anywhere – in architectural details, machinery parts, food, dishware, flora and fauna, even sewer grates. Mixing and matching colors, textures and shape can lead to some cool results….for instance:
- Rusty iron in a formal garden
- Oriental rugs in a modern minimalist space
- mixed media like sewing on paper or painting on fabric
- mixing metals
- including words and typefaces in art
- Old fashioned flowers in a modern vase
Yesterday I saw the top of a piano re-purposed into a wall wine cabinet.
What are your favorite weird combos that work?
Stay tuned for nature inspired greeting cards coming soon!